Legislation, Policy, and Technical Bulletins Related to the CFSRs
This webpage provides information about child welfare Federal Register announcements, information memoranda, technical bulletins, and other policy documents regarding the Child and Family Services Reviews (CFSRs):
Federal Register Announcements
- Data Indicators for the second round of CFSRs - A Federal Register Notice pertaining to the data indicators for the second round of the Child and Family Services Review was published on January 23 providing corrected information to the original Notice published on June 7, 2006. The corrected information is specifically highlighted in the PDF version.
- Child Welfare Final Rule - Information from the Federal Register on the Title IV-E Foster Care Eligibility Reviews and Child and Family Services State Plan Reviews; Final Rule.
- Adoption and Safe Families Act Visit disclaimer page - Full text of the Adoption and Safe Families Act.
- IM-12-02 - Information on extended deadline to implement and submit a title IV-E plan amendment – Annual Credit Report required by the Child and Family Services Improvement and Innovation Act
- IM-11-06 - information on the Child and Family Services Improvement and Innovation Act (Public Law
- IM-09-01 - Measuring Round One Program Improvement Plan (PIP) Improvement for Child and Family Services Reviews (CFSRs) Using Round Two Revised National Standards.
- IM-07-08 - Guidance and Suggested Format for Program Improvement Plans in Child and Family Service Reviews (CFSRs).
- IM-07-05 - Measuring Program Improvement Plan (PIP) Improvement for the Child and Family Services Reviews (CFSRs) National Standards.
- IM-07-02 - Information on ratings for the Child and Family Service Reviews.
- IM-05-05 - Information on court involvement in the Child and Family Services Review.
- IM-05-01 - Information on the adjusted baseline data for the Adoption Incentive Payment Program.
- IM-03-05 - Clarity on ratings for the Child and Family Service Reviews.
- IM-02-04 - Guidance and Suggested Format for Program Improvement Plans in Child and Family Services Reviews.
- IM-02-02 - Time Frames for Data Profiles and Selecting Cases for the Child and Family Services Reviews (CFSRs).
- IM-01-07 - Updated National Standards for the Child and Family Services Reviews and Guidance on Program Improvement Plans (the guidance refers to the amount of improvement necessary toward meeting the national standards through a PIP).
- IM-01-06 - Guidance and Suggested Format for Program Improvement Plans in Child and Family Services Reviews.
- IM-01-01 - Amendment to ACYF-CB-IM-00-01, December 28, 2000, to correct the methodology for calculating foster care re-entries.
- IM-00-11 - National standards for the Child and Family Service Reviews.
- IM-00-02 - information on the final rule for Titles IV-B and IV-E of the Social Security Act (the Act): Child and Family Services Reviews; Title IV-E Eligibility Reviews; Enforcement of Section 471(a)(18) of the Act; and the Foster Care Maintenance Payments Program.
- CFSR Technical Bulletin #12 - This TB announces the next round of reviews the Children's Bureau plans to begin in federal fiscal year 2022. The bulletin provides a high-level overview of the reviews, outlines improvements to strengthen the CFSR process, and provides information on the scheduling of reviews for CFSR Round 4. The Children's Bureau will provide future guidance and hold calls with states to share more information about the process and procedures before the start of the reviews.
- CFSR Technical Bulletin #11 - This TB provides information about adjustments the Children’s Bureau (CB) is making when setting and evaluating the attainment of case review measurement goals for Program Improvement Plans (PIPs). These changes apply to the third round of the Child and Family Services Reviews (CFSRs) and amends information provided in CFSR Technical Bulletin #9, Section IIC.
- CFSR Technical Bulletin #10 - This TB provides the Administration for Children and Families’ (ACF) response to the comments solicited in the November 27, 2018 Federal Register Notice (83 FR 60874) inviting state child welfare agencies, partner organizations, and the public to review, test, and provide comments on the revised syntax that performs data quality checks and calculates observed performance on the Child and Family Services Review (CFSR) statewide data indicators.
- CFSR Technical Bulletin #9 - This TB rescinds TB#8A and establishes a new plan for use of statewide data indicators and national standards as context data for the third round of the Child and Family Services Reviews (CFSRs).
- CFSR Technical Bulletin #8A - This TB provides technical detail on how CB calculates whether a state has met the national standards. It was amended May 2015.
- CFSR Technical Bulletin #7 - This Technical Bulletin outlines the general direction of improvements in the Child and Family Services Review (CFSR) and the tentative schedule.
- CFSR Technical Bulletin #6 - This Technical Bulletin provides information regarding initiation of Child and Family Services Review (CFSR) Round Three.
- CFSR Technical Bulletin #5 - This Technical Bulletin provides information concerning termination of withholding of funds or continuation of penalties from a round through to a subsequent round's PIP implementation.
- CFSR Technical Bulletin #4 - This Technical Bulletin contains updated general instructions for Program Improvement Plan monitoring, evaluation, and renegotiation. It includes technical information for States and Children's Bureau Regional Offices (CBROs) about monitoring, reporting, and using a matrix spreadsheet for Program Improvement Plan submissions.
- CFSR Amended Technical Bulletin #3 - This amended Technical Bulletin replaces the one issued on February 18, 2009.
- CFSR Technical Bulletin #2 - This Technical Bulletin clarifies ACF's approach and the specific time periods that will be used to select a sample of cases that represent recent child welfare practice for the next series of Child and Family Services Reviews.
CFSR Approach and Related Implementation Training Presentation
- Technical Bulletin #1 - Technical Bulletin #1 January, 2005.
- Implementation Training Presentation on Technical Bulletin #1 - This presentation discusses the changes ACF will implement during the second round of the CFSRs.
Background Papers, executive summaries and press releases related to the CFSR
National Standards Round 1
Background Paper: Child and Family Services Reviews National Standards - The national standards are based on information that is reported by States to the Detailed Case Data Component of the National Child Abuse and Neglect Data System (NCANDS) and the Adoption and Foster Care Analysis and Reporting System (AFCARS).
Child Welfare Final Rule (Executive Summary) - Issued January 25, 2000