Federal Guidance on NYTD
Policy issuances and other guidance related to NYTD, including questions and answers:
Public Law 106-169 established the John H. Chafee Foster Care Independence Program (CFCIP) at section 477 of the Social Security Act (PDF - 279 KB), requiring ACF to develop a data collection system, the National Youth in Transition Database (NYTD). To meet the law's mandate, ACF published a notice of proposed rulemaking in the Federal Register on July 14, 2006. The final rule for NYTD was published February 26, 2008 and is effective as of April 28, 2008. The regulations are found at 45 CFR 1356.80-86 (PDF - 286 KB) and include a guide to the NYTD data elements (Appendix A), a list of youth outcome survey questions (Appendix B), and guidance on calculating sample size for the NYTD follow-up population (Appendix C).
In addition to the statute and the regulation, the following documents have been issued by the Children's Bureau.
- Child Welfare Policy Manual, Section 3.2 Independent Living – Data Collection
- PI-10-04 - This PI provides guidance on National Youth in Transition Database (NYTD) reporting in a Statewide Automated Child Welfare Information Systems environment.
- IM-10-02 - Notice of Office of Management and Budget (OMB) approval of information collection associated with the National Youth in Transition Database (NYTD) pursuant to the Paperwork Reduction Act.
- PI-17-01 - This PI notifies states of the Children's Bureau's implementation of the NYTD Review process and shares the Guide to the NYTD Review.
Also, answers to commonly asked NYTD questions are provided as a resource to assist States in understanding and implementing the NYTD data collection and reporting requirements.
- NYTD Questions and Answers - Answers to State questions regarding NYTD implementation.
- NYTD Technical Bulletins - These technical bulletins supplement official guidance and assist states in developing and implementing the data collection and reporting requirements for the National Youth in Transition Database (NYTD).