This page contains a collection of presentations and handouts from meetings, plenary and poster sessions, preconference and skills seminars, think tanks, and workshops held at the conference.
CAPTA Research Grantees’ Annual Meeting – OCAN's Grantees' Meeting Opening Session (PDF - 60 KB), presented by Sally Flanzer, Ph.D.
The Relation of Adult Health to Adverse Childhood Experiences – Opening Plenary Keynote (PDF - 515 KB), presented by Vincent Felitti, M.D., and Robert F. Anda, M.D.
Attachments Past and Present: Implications for the Prevention of Child Maltreatment – Plenary One Keynote (PDF - 424 KB), presented by Byron Egeland, Ph.D.
Great Beginnings Start Before Birth: Strengthening Families through Early Prenatal Support Services and Father Involvement – Session 1 (PDF - 40 KB), presented by Helen Reif
CAPTA Amendments 2003: How Changes in Federal Law Can Affect State Agency Programs – Session 2 (PDF - 64 KB), Presented by Suzan Cohen
Management of Ethical Issues and Conflicts of Interest – Seminar B (PDF - 51 KB), presented by Pamela R. Montgomery, A.C.S.W., and Elizabeth D. Still, M.A.
Child and Animal Welfare: The Roots of Collaborative Programs and Re-Emergence of Interagency and Interdisciplinary Efforts – Skills Seminar C (PDF - 45 KB), presented by Frank R. Ascione, Ph.D., and Deborah Ascione
“The Relational Worldview:” A Tribal and Cultural Framework for Service Delivery and Program Development – Skills Seminar D (PDF - 269 KB) Handout (PDF)(PDF - 35 KB), presented by Andy Hunt, M.S.W., and Nadja Printup, M.S.W.
Effective Parent Leadership: A Practical Approach to Meaningful Partnerships Between Parents and Providers – Skills Seminar F (PDF - 62 KB), presented by Teresa Rafael, M.S.W., Margaret Polinsky, Ph.D., Tanya Long, and Bunti Reed
Abuse and Neglect of Children with Disabilities: A Collaborative Response – Skills Seminar I (PDF - 88 KB), presented by Peggy O’Neill, Brian Colligan, and Vernon Simmons
Quality Assurance, Risk Management and Documentation in the Record – Skills Seminar K (PDF - 48 KB), presented by Bob Mitchell, A.C.S.W.
Parent Child Interaction Therapy: Training for Professionals Working with High-Risk Families – Skills Seminar M (PDF - 3,064 KB) Handout (PDF)(PDF - 82 KB), presented by Georganna Sedlar, Ph.D., Katherine Elliott, Ph.D., and Anthony Urquiza, Ph.D.
Formulating a Multidisciplinary Comprehensive Research Agenda for the Prevention of Child Maltreatment (PDF) (PDF - 99 KB), presented by John Holton, Kathryn Harding, Nancy Peddle
Tough Problems, Tough Choices: Casey's Guidelines for Needs-Based Service Planning in Child Welfare (PDF) (PDF - 235 KB), presented by Amy Printz Wintefeld, J.D., and Tracey Feild
Child Protection Systems and Service Changes that Shape and Promote Best Practice
- The Evolution of a National Reporting System on Child Maltreatment: 25 Years of Progress – Workshop 42 (PDF - 505 KB), presented by John D. Fluke, Ph.D., John A. Gaudiosi, M.A., Nancy A. Peddle, Ph.D., and Myles T. Edwards, Ph.D.
- Attributing Meaning to Findings in Social Work Research: Child Welfare Statistics Are Only Half the Story – Workshop 43 (PDF - 138 KB), presented by Trevor Spratt, and John Devaney
- Individualizing Plans to Help Families Succeed – Workshop 130 (PDF - 27 KB), presented by Marno Batterson, Dawn East, Sandra Y. Durham, and Ana Scheel
- Building Resilience in Child Protection Social Workers – Workshop 144 (PDF - 45 KB), presented by Mark Horwitz, M.S.W., Ph.D., J.D.
- Voices for Children: Taking Volunteer Guardian Representation to the Next Level – Workshop 156 (PDF - 558 KB), presented by Mary Z. Taylor
- Multidisciplinary Assessments of the First-Time Substantiated Serious Child Protection Services Cases Involving Young Children – Workshop 165 (PDF - 32 KB), presented by Kathleen Coulborn Faller, Ph.D., and Elaine Pomeranz, M.D.
Putting the Results of Data Collection, Research, and Outcome Evaluation into Practice
- Measuring Outcomes for Mutual Self-Help Support – Workshop 4 (PDF - 582 KB), presented by Nancy Peddle, Ph.D., Ed Siegel, M.A., Kate Dando, M.A., and Nancy Connolly, M.A.
- An Approach to Linking Research and Skills-Based Training for Child Welfare Supervisors and Managers – Workshop 35 (PDF - 103 KB), presented by Susan N. Kanak, Lynne Mason, and Sheryl Ward
- Effective and Innovative Prevention Programs: Results of OCAN's National Nomination Process – Workshop 59 (PDF - 82 KB), presented by David B. Thomas, and Christine Leicht
- Outcome Accountability for Family Support Programs: The FRIENDS National Resource Center Model – Workshop 73A (PDF - 646 KB) Handout (PDF)(PDF - 17 KB), presented by Carolyn Beaver
- Federal Funding, Data and Research Activities – Workshop 73B (PDF - 76 KB), presented by Sally Flanzer, Ph.D., and Magaret Feerick, Ph.D.
Serving Diverse Populations with an Integrated Prevention and Response System
- Planned and Crisis Respite: A Prevention Strategy for Families with Children with Disabilities – Workshop 15 (PDF - 60 KB), presented by Casandra Wade
- Afro Centric Service Delivery: Family-Centered Practice Through a Different Lens, Part 1 – Workshop 30, Part 1 (PDF - 58 KB), presented by Vivian H. Jackson, A.C.S.W., L.I.C.S.W., and Don Downing
- Afro Centric Service Delivery: Family-Centered Practice Through a Different Lens, Part 2 – Workshop 30, Part 2 (PDF - 28 KB), presented by Vivian H. Jackson, A.C.S.W., L.I.C.S.W., and Don Downing
- Bullying Today: What's New and What to Do? – Workshop 50 (PDF - 177 KB), presented by John Rosiak
- Intervening to Prevent Child Maltreatment in Mother's with Major Psychiatric Disorders: A Comprehensive Approach – Workshop 79 (PDF - 19 KB), presented by Teresa Jacobson, and Heather Hasslinger
- The Role of Humor in Coping – Workshop 95 (PDF - 110 KB), presented by Bob Mitchell, A.C.S.W.
Strengthening Families through Healthy Marriages and Responsible Fatherhood
- Parenting Wisely: Using Technology to Reduce Child Abuse and Neglect – Workshop 14 Handout (PDF - 127 KB) Flyer (PDF)(PDF - 283 KB), presented by Donald A. Gordon, Ph.D.
- Stopping Child Abuse Before It Begins: Teaching Children Parenting Skills – Workshop 18 (PDF - 106 KB), presented by Becky Koch
- Electronic Gateways to Prevention Information: Working Quick and Working Smart! – Workshop 25 (PDF - 249 KB), presented by Sandra M. Slappey, and Barbara E. Keiser
- Prevention Through Directive Abstinence Education – Workshop 51 (PDF - 86 KB), presented by LeAnna L. Benn
- Fatherhood: A Pro-Active Approach to Neglect – Workshop 84 (PDF - 119 KB), presented by Thomas Boxley
- Couple Relationship Enhancement: A Skill Learning Program to Foster Intimacy and Stability – Workshop 111 (PDF - 77 KB), presented by Barry G. Ginsberg
- The Filial Program: Fostering Improved Closeness and Parenting Skill in Father-Child Relationships Through Play – Workshop 162 (PDF - 67 KB), presented by Barry G. Ginsberg, Ph.D.
Working Together through Interagency Collaborative Efforts
- Legal Issues in Child Neglect Cases: Hot Topics – Workshop 3 (PDF - 447 KB), presented by Jennifer Renne
- Coordinating Intervention Can Work: Successful Prosecution of Child Sexual Abuse – Workshop 107 (PDF - 75 KB), presented by Kathleen Coulborn Faller, Ph.D., and James Henry, Ph.D.