Employers must notify the child support agency when an employee with an Income Withholding for Support (IWO) order/notice ends employment.  Employers must report the termination as soon as possible by fax, mail, or online, so the child support agency can identify a new employer.

How Should I Report Terminations?

Notify the IWO sender:

  • Fax or mail the completed Notification of Employment Termination section of the IWO to the sender
  • Online - use either e-IWO or Electronic Terminations, also called eTerm


Reactivating Child Support Withholding if You Rehire the Employee

If the employee is laid off temporarily, you should keep the income withholding order.  The amount of time that you must keep an IWO on files following a termination varies by state.


Current as of: