External Locate Sources

Information for Families

Publication Date: December 29, 2011

Automatic matching occurs continuously between the National Directory of New Hires (NDNH) and the Federal Case Registry (FCR). However, even with the automatic matching, child support workers may need certain specific locate information not available through the NDNH or FCR. Using the Federal Parent Locator Service (FPLS), state child support agencies may request additional employment or benefit information from certain agencies. These federal agencies accessed by the FPLS are considered external locate sources.

What are the external locate sources, and what information do they provide?

The Social Security Administration (SSA) provides identification and verification of the Social Security Number (SSN). SSA provides annual wages earned with the employer name and address; or if the employee is self-employed, a self-employment indicator is provided with the individual’s name and address used for business purposes. SSA provides State Verification and Exchange System (SVES) information with the name and address to which benefits are being mailed as well as information regarding benefits received from Title II Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) and/or Title XVI Supplemental Security Income (SSI). States may also opt to receive the Title II Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) pending file which identifies individuals that have applied for Title II benefits. Additionally, SVES information encompasses Prisoner information received from over 6,500 federal, state and local correctional institutions that participate in an incentive reporting program with SSA. SVES provides verified death information.

The Department of Defense (DoD) provides information for active duty personnel, reservists, retired military personnel and Federal Civil Service retirees. DoD may provide an address for inactive and retired military, military branch or agency of service, pay grade/rank, and annual pension for retired military and Federal civil service personnel. Additionally, DOD will provide information identifying children’s eligibility for medical insurance through the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS). States do not need to request this information, as it is provided proactively to states every quarter.

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) provides SSN identification or verification, and the address on a person's most recent tax return.

The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) provides information about pensions, compensation and educational benefits, and the address to which benefits are being sent. VA provides an indicator to notify states if a person is incarcerated, as well as verified death information.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) provides the home address for inactive and retired employees and work address (FBI Headquarters) for active employees. Other employment data includes employment status, date of hire, annual salary/pension, and health insurance coverage. The FBI provides a verified date of death for its employees.

The National Security Agency (NSA) provides home addresses and other employment data including employment status, salary and health insurance coverage for its employees, as well as the date of hire, termination, and verified date of death for its employees. Information is not returned for employees in sensitive positions.

How do States request locate information from these external locate sources?

States send their locate requests through the FCR to the FPLS to obtain specific kinds of locate information not provided automatically through NDNH/FCR matching. States can request which sources the FPLS should check for information. The federal Office of Child Support Enforcement (OCSE) will process the request and return information directly to the requesting state.

As a custodial party or noncustodial parent, do I have access to this locate information?

Under certain circumstances, custodial parties and noncustodial parents may have access to some FPLS locate information.

If you are a custodial party seeking to use the locate services of the FPLS for child support purposes, you should go to your state or local child support agency and request assistance.

If you are a noncustodial parent who wishes to use the FPLS for custody or visitation services, you should go to the court, which may submit your request through the state child support agency to the FPLS.

Last Reviewed Date: