Answers to your questions
This Handbook is a guide to help you get child support. You'll find the steps to follow to establish fatherhood, obtain a support order, and collect the support due, whether you are working with your state, local, or tribal child support program or your own attorney. There is information for noncustodial parents about providing financial and emotional support to your children and keeping in touch with them, and about keeping support orders fair.
Although the function of the child support program is to collect and distribute child support payments, throughout the Handbook we hope to give the message that children fare best when both parents play an active, supportive role in their lives.
To get help with your case or to apply for child support, contact your state or tribal child support program.
- PDF Handbook - Foreword.pdf (432.05 KB)
- PDF Handbook - 1 Introduction.pdf (611.96 KB)
- PDF Handbook - 2 Finding the Noncustodial Parent.pdf (518.06 KB)
- PDF Handbook - 3 Establishing Fatherhood.pdf (589.95 KB)
- PDF Handbook - 4 Establishing the Support Order.pdf (512.85 KB)
- PDF Handbook - 5 Collecting Support.pdf (546.36 KB)
- PDF Handbook - 6 Where the Money Goes.pdf (420.42 KB)
- PDF Handbook - 7 Working Across Borders.pdf (524.00 KB)
- PDF Handbook - 8 Rights and Responsibilities.pdf (511.11 KB)
- PDF Handbook - 9 Conclusion.pdf (279.69 KB)
- PDF Handbook - Full Document for Printing (1,330.64 KB)