Federal Laws & Regulations
The following laws and regulations provide policy and program requirements related to the child support program.
Policy Guidance Overview
OCSE provides program requirements, program information, policy guidance, and program instructions using several types of documents.
- Action Transmittal (AT) describes actions that programs must take to comply with new and amended federal laws (available from 1975)
- Dear Colleague Letter (DCL) conveys general information on program activities (available from 1989)
- Information Memorandum (IM) provides information on program practices that may be useful for program improvement (available from 1989)
- Policy Interpretation Question (PIQ) responds formally to policy inquiries (available from 1999)
- International Policy transmits guidance on international child support (available from 1993)
- Tribal Policy provides guidance on tribal child support (available from 1995)
2020 Policy Documents
- ‹ Previous Year
- Next Year ›
- May 28, 2020Outlines flexibilities that may be available under the Stafford Act due to COVID-19May 1, 2020Notifies states of renewed OMB-approved Hague Convention child support formsApril 27, 2020Addresses objection by the United States to the accession of the Co-operative Republic of Guyana to the Hague ConventionApril 13, 2020Eligibility of CARES Act economic impact payments for federal tax refund offsetApril 9, 2020Provides updated contact information for the US Postal Service for child support-related requests and questionsApril 2, 2020Provides guidance on Section 1115 waivers to state and tribal child support ageniciesMarch 27, 2020Announces the extension for using the form OCSE-75 Tribal Annual Data Report to Jan. 31, 2023March 17, 2020Procedures for processing child support cases with the U.K. after the U.K.'s withdrawal from the EUMarch 5, 2020Announces the expiration date of October 31, 2022 for federally approved of the National Medical Support Notice Part A and BFebruary 26, 2020Provides states with the Annual Certification Letter to complete and return by June 28, 2020February 25, 2020Answers to questions about working cases with Canadian provinces and territoriesFebruary 13, 2020Responds to frequently asked questions about using the intergovernmental formsFebruary 10, 2020Announces public comment period for the Tribal Budget and Narrative Justification TemplateFebruary 3, 2020Requests states to resubmit the state plan cover page and 3.16 via the online system by Dec. 31, 2020Last Reviewed: November 12, 2019