Federal Laws & Regulations
The following laws and regulations provide policy and program requirements related to the child support program.
Policy Guidance Overview
OCSE provides program requirements, program information, policy guidance, and program instructions using several types of documents.
- Action Transmittal (AT) describes actions that programs must take to comply with new and amended federal laws (available from 1975)
- Dear Colleague Letter (DCL) conveys general information on program activities (available from 1989)
- Information Memorandum (IM) provides information on program practices that may be useful for program improvement (available from 1989)
- Policy Interpretation Question (PIQ) responds formally to policy inquiries (available from 1999)
- International Policy transmits guidance on international child support (available from 1993)
- Tribal Policy provides guidance on tribal child support (available from 1995)
2019 Policy Documents
- ‹ Previous Year
- Next Year ›
- October 4, 2019Provides information on user fees for FPLS and CSENet for FY 2020September 17, 2019Announces public comment period for the Tribal Direct Funding plan, 45 CFR 309 in the Federal RegisterSeptember 13, 2019Provides states with Federal Offset and Pre-Offset Notice program fees for fiscal year 2020September 12, 2019Reminds states to submit-OCSE-157 for FY 2019 by Oct. 30August 22, 2019Provides states with Annual Certification Letter to complete and returnAugust 21, 2019Provides guidance and model procedures for child support staff when processing cases involving domestic violenceAugust 19, 2019Announcement of 60-day open comment period in federal register for OCSE-75August 13, 2019Announces open comment period for the PRA burden estimate of the Hague Convention case processing formsAugust 7, 2019Guidance on requesting medical support in applications from the U.S. to CanadaAugust 6, 2019Reminds states to submit the SF-424 Mandatory Form through OLDC for fiscal year 2020August 2, 2019Notifies states of new bench cards related to UIFSA and Hague Child Support Convention casesJuly 30, 2019Notifies states of translated versions of Hague Convention case processing forms to send child support applications to Convention countriesJuly 30, 2019Addresses the objection by the United States to the accession of the Republic of Kazakhstan to the Hague Child Support ConventionJuly 23, 2019Outlines section 1115 demonstration waivers that allow states and tribes to fund employment programs for noncustodial parentsJuly 23, 2019Streamlining requirements for conducting feasibility studies for the modernization of child support enforcement systemsJuly 5, 2019Shares IRS requirements regarding tribal IV-D agencies accessing federal tax information through a state IV-D agencyJune 20, 2019Publishes proposed intergovernmental forms and a summary of proposed changesJune 19, 2019Revised OCSE-157 form and instructions to clarify or emphasize intended meaning of a definition or instructionJune 13, 2019Announces the release of the FY 2018 Preliminary Data Report and includes Excel data tablesJune 11, 2019Provides guidance on state Medicaid agency incentive payments for assigned medical support collectionJune 11, 2019Notifies state child support agencies to sign security and privacy certification statement by July 22, 2019May 29, 2019Extends the self-assessment report until April 30, 2022May 24, 2019Provides instructions to Hague Convention Countries and Foreign Reciprocating Countries about accessing the FPLSMay 13, 2019Provides guidance on allowable activities for tribal child support programsApril 15, 2019Informs states to provide only the person's U.S. state of residence when responding to a locate-only request from a Convention country or a foreignApril 4, 2019Provides additional guidance to states when transmitting a Convention Application for Recognition and Enforcement of a Decision to PortugalFebruary 26, 2019Holds states harmless from penalties for failure to comply with questions 2 and 3 of PIQ-18-02January 14, 2019Lists Hague Convention countries language, translation, forms, and payments requirementsLast Reviewed: March 28, 2018