Federal Laws & Regulations
The following laws and regulations provide policy and program requirements related to the child support program.
Policy Guidance Overview
OCSE provides program requirements, program information, policy guidance, and program instructions using several types of documents.
- Action Transmittal (AT) describes actions that programs must take to comply with new and amended federal laws (available from 1975)
- Dear Colleague Letter (DCL) conveys general information on program activities (available from 1989)
- Information Memorandum (IM) provides information on program practices that may be useful for program improvement (available from 1989)
- Policy Interpretation Question (PIQ) responds formally to policy inquiries (available from 1999)
- International Policy transmits guidance on international child support (available from 1993)
- Tribal Policy provides guidance on tribal child support (available from 1995)
2018 Policy Documents
- ‹ Previous Year
- Next Year ›
- August 1, 2018Rescinds AT-10-02, which held states harmless of penalties for noncompliance with the 2008 Medical Support Final RuleJuly 26, 2018Releases updated Administrative Subpoena and Notice of Lien forms and instructionsJuly 12, 2018Announces reorganization of regional resourcesJune 29, 2018Provides guidance on federal funding for making arrests to enforce support obligationsJune 25, 2018Guidance on garnishment and case closure for noncustodial parents receiving concurrent SSI and SSDI or SSI and SSR benefitsJune 25, 2018Provides child support directors important information about the child support program requirementsJune 7, 2018Notifies tribes of the services OCSE provides for the MTSMay 31, 2018Announces the release of the FY 2017 Preliminary Data ReportMay 22, 2018Announces publication of the Hague Child Support Convention Judicial GuideMay 7, 2018Provides a Caseworker’s Guide to help U.S. child support workers process cases with AustraliaMay 2, 2018Provides states and tribes with Department of Labor Opinion Letter regarding withholding limits for lump sum paymentsApril 26, 2018Describes UIFSA section 316 provision regarding tribunals accepting electronic documents as evidenceApril 20, 2018Announces OMB approved Insurance Match standard input file record for use until January 31, 2021April 20, 2018Provides notice that OMB approved data elements for voluntary acknowledgment of paternity affidavitsMarch 20, 2018Provides training on the IV-D State Plan and automated systemMarch 13, 2018Provides states with the Annual Certification Letter to complete and return by May 31March 12, 2018Provides notice that OMB approved the current FAST Levy and MSFIDM form and documentsFebruary 23, 2018Announces an increase in the annual collection fee from $25 to $35 when collections to family equal $550 each fiscal yearFebruary 15, 2018Clarifies that HHS approves exemption requests to use incentives to provide employment programs for noncustodial parentsFebruary 5, 2018Announces publication of the training on Finding the Right Security Control Assessor for FPLS AccessJanuary 25, 2018Provides minimum requirements for submitting a past-due child support amount to the OCSE Debtor FileJanuary 19, 2018Notifies states and tribes of extension of use of OCSE-34 and OCSE-396 forms to December 31, 2020Last Reviewed: March 28, 2018