FY 2017 Preliminary Data Report
DEAR COLLEAGUE LETTER
DATE: May 31, 2018
TO: State and Tribal IV-D Directors
SUBJECT: FY 2017 Preliminary Data Report
ATTACHMENT: FY 2017 Preliminary Data Report
In my first year as OCSE Commissioner, I have seen the great work being done around the country, and I look forward to what we will accomplish in the future for the program and for the families we serve. While directly serving families is a small part of OCSE’s work, everything we do is to support you in providing highly effective child support services.
Attached is the Fiscal Year (FY) 2017 Preliminary Data Report. The report provides data from all state child support programs and includes information on collections, expenditures, paternities, orders established, and other program statistics. Please note that tribal data will be reported in the FY 2017 Annual Report to Congress and does not appear in the Preliminary Data Report.
The attached data and information represent a preliminary assessment of the program’s progress toward meeting our goals and objectives. It is provided as a resource for the child support community.
A few highlights from the FY 2017 preliminary report:
- Total distributed IV-D child support collections were $28.6 billion, a decrease of 0.7% since FY 2016
- $27.4 billion, or 96% of the distributed collections were sent directly to families
- The program served 15.1 million children
- 87% of cases in the caseload had orders established
- 65% of current support due was collected
- 64% of cases with arrears had collections
- IV-D Paternity Establishment Percentage (PEP) is 102%
- Statewide PEP is 94%
- The cost-effectiveness rate is $5.15
The information in this report does not take into account the 2017 data reliability audits.
State officials should carefully review the data to ensure that numbers included in this report agree with timely submissions to OCSE. Please contact regional offices with any concerns.
Scott M. Lekan
Office of Child Support Enforcement
- PDF 2017 Preliminary Data Report.pdf (4,538.93 KB)