« Back to Search
Are you earning less income?
Information for Families
Published: June 3, 2015
If you have custody:
- If you don't have a child support order, your state child support agency can help you get one.
- If you have an order and your income level has changed, or will, you may be eligible for the agency to review and adjust the amount of your support order.
If you are paying child support:
- If your income level has changed, or will, you may be eligible for the agency to review and adjust the amount of your support order.
- If your support payments are being withheld from your paycheck and you have changed employers, remember to notify the state agency so it can ensure the withholding is transferred to the new employer on a timely basis to prevent or minimize missed payments. Also, ask your new employer to notify the state agency and to provide all needed information.
- If you are unemployed, a percentage of your unemployment compensation and/or certain benefits you may be eligible for can be withheld to help meet your support obligation. Also, your state agency may be able to refer you to a contact in your state to assist you in looking for a new job. Contact your state agency for details.
- If your child support order includes health care coverage for your child and you are unemployed, you may be able to arrange for other sources of coverage. Contact your state agency for details.
Last Reviewed: December 18, 2018