Best Practices for ACF Imagery
Imagery is very important to the ACF brand.
If possible, use photos of real people impacted by the work of ACF or working on ACF programs.
Sparing use of illustrations can also bring visual interest to print and web materials. ACF illustrations should be simple and flat, with the colors limited to the ACF primary color palette, whenever possible.
Choose engaging images that clearly support the content and reflect positively on ACF's mission.
Use High Quality Photos
- Images of people make a great personal connection with the viewer.
- Images of places provide a good understanding when referencing a location or event.
- "Sharpen" your images in a photo editor using the standard sharpen filter ("Filter/Sharpen/Sharpen.")
- Photos should not be over-optimized or degraded in any way. If degradation is noticeable in a photo, do not use it. Find a better quality photo.
Include Alt Text
Use Sufficient Color Contrast
Don't Use Color to Convey Meaning
Do not use color alone to convey meaning. This makes your image impossible to understand for colorblind users.
Avoid Flickering Images
People with photosensitive epilepsy can have seizures triggered by flickering or flashing in the 4 to 59 flashes per second (Hertz) range with peak sensitivity at 20 flashes per second. Use care when using animated GIF images or other dynamic content.
The image should be of sufficient resolution so it does not appear pixelated.
- It needs to be at least 72 dpi at double the desired display size in order to show up properly for high resolution monitors.
- Follow these steps to check the resolution of an image on your computer:
- Right-click on the desired file and select “Properties”
- Select the “Details” tab. The image resolution will be listed in this section.
ACF Standard Image Sizes
Image resolution of all images should be at least 72 dpi at display size (e.g. 575 x 332 px @ 72dpi). (All sizes are in pixels.)
- Blog teaser image: 920 x 440
- Card: 1200 x 680
- Carousel: 575 x 332
- Event: 300 x 150
- Hero Image: 1440 x 400
- Newsletter Banner Image:1280 x 112
- OPRE Topic Feature: 960 x 456
- Quick Facts: 960 x 456
- Success Story: 960 x 456
Note: If you upload an image that isn't cropped to fit the above standards, it will be automatically cropped in Drupal. Automatic cropping will often give poor results, so it's best to crop the image to the appropriate dimensions before uploading.
Sources for Images
Even if the image is free to use, always review usage requirements and restrictions. Some can only be used with attribution, or written permission or notification may be required. This can vary from image to image within the same website.
Stock Photo Libraries
Other sources for free stock images:
- Pixabay Visit disclaimer page
- VisualHunt Visit disclaimer page
- Morgue File Visit disclaimer page
- Unsplash Visit disclaimer page
- Pexels Visit disclaimer page
- StockSnap Visit disclaimer page
- Flickr Creative Commons Group Visit disclaimer page
- CDC Public Health Image Library (PHIL) Visit disclaimer page
- USAgov Image Search