Child Care and Development Block Grant Act
SEC. 658I. ADMINISTRATION AND ENFORCEMENT.
(b) Enforcement- (1) Review of compliance with state plan -The Secretary shall review and monitor State compliance with this subchapter and the plan approved under section 658E(c) for the State.
45 CFR Part 98- Final Rule
Subpart J—Monitoring, Noncompliance and Complaints § 98.90 Monitoring.
(a) The Secretary will monitor programs funded under the CCDF for compliance with:
(1) The Act;
(2) The CCDF Final Rule;
(3) The provisions and requirements set forth in the CCDF Plan approved under § 98.18
Beginning in FY 2019, in response to reauthorization of the Child Care and Development Fund (CCDF) Final Rule, the Office of Child Care (OCC) launched the CCDF Federal Onsite Monitoring System.
CCDF Onsite Monitoring Goals
The purposes of the CCDF Federal Onsite Monitoring System are to:
- Ensure compliance with CCDF Regulations and approved CCDF Plan
- Identify technical assistance needs to meet CCDF requirements
- Identify promising practices to inform continuous quality improvement
During the first 3-year cycle (FY 2019 – FY 2021), States will be monitored for compliance within 11 specific topic areas. Within each topic, there are specific CCDF regulations for which the States will be required to demonstrate compliance.
Monitoring Topics for Cycle #1:
- Disaster Preparedness, Response, and Recovery
- Consumer Education: Dissemination of Information to Parents, Providers, and General Public (Monitoring Reports and Aggregate Annual Data)
- Twelve-Month Eligibility
- Child:Staff Ratios and Group Sizes
- Health and Safety Requirements for Providers (11 health and safety topics)
- Pre-Service/Orientation and Ongoing Training for Providers
- Inspections for CCDF Licensed Providers
- Inspections for License-Exempt CCDF Providers
- Ratios for Licensing Inspectors
- Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting
- Program Integrity and Accountability
Throughout the monitoring process, the State and its CCDF team work closely with an OCC Monitoring Team consisting of OCC Regional and Central Office staff and representatives from OCC’s monitoring contractor.
Monitoring Cohorts and Cycles
States are divided into three monitoring cohorts of 17 States each; one cohort is visited every year.
OCC Monitoring Cycle #1
|Cohort 1 States||10/1/18 – 9/30/19|
|Cohort 2 States||10/1/19 – 9/30/20|
|Cohort 3 States||10/1/20 – 9/30/21|
|Cohort 1 States||Cohort 2 States||Cohort 3 States|
|New York||New Jersey||Puerto Rico|
|Delaware||District of Columbia||Pennsylvania|
Forms and Instructions
- OCC Monitoring Process A Guide for State and Territory Lead Agencies
- OCC Monitoring Process: Overview
- OCC Monitoring System Crosswalk: Monitoring Rules for Cycle 1 and State Plan Questions