There are three primary federal offices that support CED grants; the Office of Community Services (OCS), the Office of Grants Management (OGM), and Payment Management Services (PMS). Within each office, there is a specific staff program specialist dedicated to help with specific questions about grant awards and or projects.
Below is a general description of each office and why one might need to contact a specific program specialist.
OCS works in partnership with states, communities, other government agencies, and nonprofits to provide a range of human and economic development services and activities, which ameliorate the causes and symptoms of poverty.
OCS program objectives include:
- Increase capacity of individuals and families to become self-sufficient, through the creation of employment and business opportunities
- Revitalize communities
- Build stability and capacity so that people are able to create their own opportunities
- Assist grantees to maximize the success of their grants
Grantees will work with an assigned Program Specialist at OCS. OCS Program Specialists can help grantees:
- Understand program design issues, compliance, and regulatory matters
- Receive or locate additional technical assistance; such as connecting you to other grantees
- Accurately report your grant achievements, progress to plan, and data for Congressional reports
OGM administers the fiscal aspect of the grant award. OGM works in collaboration with OCS to ensure grantee compliance with applicable laws, regulations, policies, and procedures.
OGM Program Specialists can help grantees:
- Understand how to properly use Federal grant funds
- Meet the terms and conditions of the grant as well as request changes to a grant project
- Accurately report on fiscal management (SF 424)
The Payment Management System (PMS) is a tool to help grant recipients draw down funds and file the Federal Financial Report (FFR). Primary responsibilities include: Executing awards; Maintaining minimum federal cash on hand by requesting funds from the Payment Management System only for immediate disbursement (3 business days) and reimbursement unless otherwise specified in your Notice of Award; Reporting cash disbursements to the Payment Management System and Maintaining your accounting records.
PMS Specialists can help grantees:
- Establish the electronic funds transfer process using the 1199A Form
- Access grant funds
- Return unused Federal funds at the end of the grant period
- File quarterly cash transaction reports
Phone: (877) 614-5533, Monday — Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. EST (except Federal Holidays)
Contact information for active CED grantee organizations can be found on the Active Grantee Locations page.