CSBG Fact Sheet

CSBG Fact Sheet


To support services and activities for individuals with low-incomes that alleviate the causes and conditions of poverty in communities.

Legislative Authority:
Community Opportunities, Accountability, and Training and Educational Services Human Services Reauthorization Act of 1998, P.L. 105-285.


In FY 2019, $725 million.
In FY 2018, $715 million.

Eligible Applicants:
U.S. states, territories, and federally recognized tribes and tribal organizations.

Target Population:
Individuals and families with low incomes as well as low-income communities.


Block Grants - States receive funds according to a statutory formula. In turn, states fund a network of local entities with 90 percent of their CSBG grant award. These local entities include, but are not limited to, local governments, migrant and seasonal farm worker organizations, and Community Action Agencies (CAAs). The local entities provide services and activities addressing employment, education, improved financial management, housing, nutrition, emergency services, and/or healthcare. Services most often provided include employment training and placement, income management, education, emergency services, health, nutrition, transportation, housing assistance, and providing linkages among anti-poverty programs.

Discretionary Grants - A small portion of funds (1.5 percent of the total appropriation) are reserved to support technical assistance and monitoring efforts of CSBG. Eligible applicants include statewide or local organizations, or associations with demonstrated expertise in providing training to individuals and organizations on methods of effectively addressing the needs of families and individuals with low-income and low-income communities.

Type of Grant:
Block Grant (98.5%), Discretionary (1.5%)

Program Requirements:
States must pass through no less than 90 percent of the CSBG grant award. Of the remaining 10 percent, states can use up to five percent for administrative costs and the remaining funds for projects that support the statutory goals of CSBG. States are also required to conduct a full on-site review of each local entity at least once every three years..

Program Highlights:

  • Approximately 1,018 eligible entities receive CSBG funding annually.
  • Eligible entities leverage funds from other federal sources, state and local governments, and private sources.
  • As preliminary data indicate, CSBG served 16,997,192 individuals, or 7,335,240 families, in FY 2017. Of those served, more than 41.12 percent of the clients were children and over 21.11 percent were persons 55 years of age and older.
  • In an effort to help the CSBG Network increase accountability and achieve results, OCS launched several initiatives in 2012 and continues to support their implementation.

Over the last several years, OCS and the CSBG Network — comprised of CSBG eligible entities, state CSBG Lead Agencies, state CAAs, national partners, and others — have collaborated to create a new Performance Management Framework. OCS is in the process of implementing the Performance Management Framework, which is designed to increase effectiveness and accountability across the CSBG Network (federal, state, and local) and generate more robust results for the people and communities served. Implementing a comprehensive CSBG Performance Management Framework not only strengthens the CSBG Network to meet today’s challenges, but positions the Network for future growth and increased capabilities to achieve breakthrough outcomes.

Program Contact:
Community Services Block Grant
Office of Community Services
Phone: (202) 401-9380