TANF-ACF-PI-2021-01 (Renewed form ACF-196TR, the Territorial TANF & AABD Financial Report)
Territorial agencies administering the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) Program under Title IV-A of the Social Security Act and the federal Aid to Aged, Blind, or permanently and totally Disabled persons (AABD) programs under Titles I, X, and XIV, or XVI of the Social Security Act.
Renewed form ACF-196TR, the Territorial TANF & AABD Financial Report.
Titles I, IV-A, X, XIV and XVI of the Social Security Act and 45 CFR 265(3)(c).
To transmit the renewed form ACF-196TR and instructions for completing it.
Territories must use the ACF-196TR form to report TANF financial data for each grant year (GY). In addition to updating the instructions, we have also made the following updates to the form itself:
- Column D now consists of automatically calculating fields that total the TANF expenditures reported in Columns A, B, and C.
- Column E will represent expenditures for AABD, separate from TANF expenditures.
- Column F has been removed, as it is no longer in use.
- Line 5E enables Territories to report relative foster care maintenance payments and adoption and guardianship subsidies separately from basic assistance.
- Line 10 automatically totals the expenditures reported in each column.
- On Line 16, territories must enter the average monthly number of AABD cases.
Beginning with the GY 2021 second quarter report (report ending March 31, 2021), a territory must use the updated ACF-196TR form to report TANF expenditures. A territory must submit TANF financial data electronically using the ACF Online Data Collection (OLDC) system. ACF must receive reports within 45 days of the end of each fiscal year quarter, meaning by February 14, May 15, August 14, and November 14 for quarters 1 through 4, respectively.
A territory must continue to submit quarterly reports for each grant year until it reports that it has expended all of the federal funds awarded for that grant year. When it has expended all TANF funds from that year, the territory must submit a report marked “final”.
Form ACF-196TR and instructions for completing the form, revised for GY 2021.
Please direct inquiries to the TANF Program Manager in your region.
Susan J. Golonka
Office of Family Assistance