In communities throughout the country where the local Head Start or Early Head Start program can no longer operate, the Office of Head Start (OHS) Interim Management provides Head Start services. This happens when the entity who had been providing Head Start services has relinquished their funding, is under suspension, or has had its grant terminated by OHS.
OHS makes every effort to support continuity of Head Start services when existing grantees are no longer operational. OHS Interim Management provides administration and oversight of the day-to-day Head Start and Early Head Start services while providing the least disruption possible to children, families, and staff.
Families Are Our First Priority
Children enrolled in Head Start programs under the previous grantee continue to be enrolled under OHS Interim Management. With the cooperation of the previous grantee, child files and family contact information, as well as waitlists, can be transferred to OHS Interim Management, minimizing the burden on the family.
Local Staff Are Essential
OHS recognizes that consistency in staff is advantageous for children. Existing staff maintain critical relationships with children, families, and community partners. OHS Interim Management is often supported by a contractor who generally hires qualified staff for positions similar to those they held under the previous grantee.
Vendors Support Our Mission
Vendor services are vital to continued Head Start program operations. Establishing and maintaining accounts in good standing is a priority for OHS Interim Management. OHS Interim Management has no legal or historic relationship to the prior grantee. As a new entity, OHS Interim Management needs to have a new account number and a new contract in the name of the entity providing OHS Interim Management. Community Development Institute Head Start (CDI Head Start) is often the entity that provides OHS Interim Management.
Community Partnerships Remain a Cornerstone
Community partners are a cornerstone of successful interim operations. OHS Interim Management will continue to work with community partners who have relationships with Head Start and Early Head Start programs. OHS Interim Management will establish new contracts and agreements for partnerships with entities and individuals who can support Head Start and Early Head Start services. OHS Interim Management will contact existing community partners to discuss the establishment of service.
Our communities look to the media for accurate and up-to-date information. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 202-401-9215 for information regarding OHS Interim Management.
Current Updates for Service Areas under OHS Interim Management
The Office of Head Start Interim Management has operations in several communities. Find key information for families and staff below:
- AR - Southeast Arkansas Visit disclaimer page
- CO - South Central Colorado Visit disclaimer page
- IL - Vermillion, Iroquois, and Ford Counties Visit disclaimer page
- IN - Hendricks, Morgan, and Owen Counties Visit disclaimer page
- LA - Lafayette, Iberia, and St. Martin Parishes Visit disclaimer page (until Dec 2020)
- MA - Cape Cod Visit disclaimer page (until Nov 2020)
- MO - West Central Missouri Visit disclaimer page
- NY - Niagara County Visit disclaimer page
- NY - Rockaway Beach Visit disclaimer page
- OK - Eastern Oklahoma (HS/EHS) Visit disclaimer page
- VA - East Virginia Visit disclaimer page
- Migrant and Seasonal Head Start programs in Ohio, Indiana, and Iowa Visit disclaimer page (until Dec 2020)
- Migrant and Seasonal Head Start programs in the Rio Grand Valley and Oklahoma (until Dec 2020)
- Migrant and Seasonal Head Start programs in Wintergarden, Panhandle, New Mexico and Nevada Visit disclaimer page (until Dec 2020)