The Head Start to Kindergarten Transition (HS2K) project, funded by the Administration for Children and Families’ Office of Planning, Research, and Evaluation (OPRE), plans to conduct a comparative multi-case study describing promising approaches to supporting kindergarten transitions. We invite you to nominate Head Start (HS)-Local Education Agency (LEA) partnerships with promising approaches to supporting this transition period for consideration as a case study site.
We seek nominations of HS-LEA partnerships sites with existing working relationships around transitions, as evidenced by one or more of the following:
- Innovative and/or promising shared transition practices or approaches that may lead to positive transition experiences for teachers, families, and children. These may include promising approaches for helping children/families with different needs transition from Head Start to kindergarten or innovative ways that staff from across programs and schools work together.
- Promising shared transition policies and implementation of these policies in both the Head Start and elementary school sites (e.g., explicit written/formal documentation of organizational regulations; standards; agreements/Memoranda of Understanding (MOUs); procedures; and guidance around supporting transitions to kindergarten)
- Shared perspectives on the transition from Head Start to Kindergarten (e.g., values and beliefs about transitions to kindergarten, including roles in supporting transitions to kindergarten).
- Shared professional supports around the transition (e.g., professional learning, training materials, and shared planning time that support strong transition approaches).
- Transition-related coordination, collaboration, communication, and/or alignment within and across the Head Start and LEA sites.
The study team is looking for Head Start programs and LEAs that differ in size, population served, geographic locations, and partnership configurations (e.g., one HS program partnering with multiple LEAs, one HS program partnering with a single LEA, an LEA that partners with multiple Head Start programs).
We invite you to send a brief description (no more than one page per site) of the Head Start/elementary school partnership sites you would like to nominate as potential case study sites. Please include your name and contact information, the name and location of the Head Start program(s) and/or elementary school(s) or district(s), and a short description of why you are nominating these programs/schools.
Please send all materials, along with your contact information, via email to firstname.lastname@example.org by November 30, 2020. If the program or school/LEA you nominate is considered for evaluation, the NORC team may contact you.