Adolescence and young adulthood are times of both risk and opportunity with regard to self-regulation. This brief describes the importance of self-regulation for adolescents and young adults and provides guidelines for supporting self-regulation development for 14-25-year-olds.
The brief explains:
- What self-regulation is and why it is important
- Why self-regulation is important for adolescents and young adults
- How self-regulation develops
- Why certain populations of youth may be at greater risk for self-regulation difficulties, and
- The possible roles of programs and interventions.
The highlights in this brief come from Self-Regulation and Toxic Stress Report 4: Implications for Programs and Practice.
- PDF Promoting Self-Regulation in Adolescents and Young Adults: A Practice Brief (11,306.74 KB)