This white paper addresses the 2018 revision of the Standard Occupational Classification (SOC). Federal statistical agencies use the SOC to classify workers and jobs into occupational categories. ACF’s proposals in this paper include changes to the titles, definitions, and placement of the occupations involving the early childhood care and education (ECCE) workforce.
Proposed revisions to the definitions for the ECCE occupations in the SOC would:
- Specify the age range of children cared for by those in ECCE occupations as birth to entry into kindergarten;
- Include educational and caregiving activities in the listing of work activities, and use titles that reflect both teaching and caregiving;
- Differentiate among three levels of responsibility;
- Clearly state that each of these occupations can occur in different settings;
- Use the term “for pay or profit” to refer to monetary remuneration through salary or wages or through payments in the forms of fees or charges; and
- Eliminate the current distinction between “Childcare Workers” and “Preschool Teachers”.