Services to Older Refugees

The Services to Older Refugees Program funds states and state-alternative programs to ensure that refugees age 60 and older have access to applicable services for the aging and to provide qualifying refugees with appropriate services not currently available in the community.

Refugees age 60 and above who have been in the United States for up to 5 years are eligible for all program services. Referral services, interpreter services, and citizenship and naturalization preparation services for these refugees are available beyond the five-year mark.


Services to Older Refugees provides agency funding to establish and expand relationships with state and local agencies to ensure that older refugees have access to aging services, and provide older refugees appropriate services not currently available in the community.

Services may include:

  • Access to senior community centers, supportive services, and intergenerational activities
  • Nutrition services and meals delivered to homebound clients
  • Transportation
  • Interpretation and translation
  • Citizenship and naturalization services
  • Home care, adult day care, and respite care
  • Elder abuse prevention
  • Nursing home ombudsman services

These activities, services, and resources support overall physical and emotional health, help integration into new communities, and support independent living.


Services to Older Refugees awards annual funding to states and state-alternative programs, which subcontract with suitable agencies that provide direct services to clients as a Refugee Support Services (RSS) Formula “Set-Aside” program.

ORR partners with the U.S. Administration on Aging Visit disclaimer page to identify ways in which the aging and resettlement networks can effectively work together at the state and local levels, to improve older refugees’ access to services.

The program operates in states that served more than 10 refugee arrivals aged 60 and older in the previous fiscal year. To learn more about the Services to Older Refugees program, view our Dear Colleague Letter 18-02.

Contact your State Refugee Coordinator (SRC) to find local Services to Older Refugees programs.