< Back to Search

For Anyone Outside The U.S. Seeking Refugee Status

Published: December 3, 2015

The Office of Refugee Resettlement (ORR) funds and administers domestic refugee assistance only within the United States, and only for persons already formally admitted into the Refugee Resettlement Program and admitted to the U.S. as refugees, or to those who are granted asylum in the U.S., or who are Cuban/Haitian Entrants. 

If you believe you, a relative, or others in a current location outside the U.S. are eligible for refugee status, contact the local office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR).   An applicant for refugee status must demonstrate that they were persecuted or that they fear persecution on account of race, religion, nationality, political opinion, or membership in a particular social group. Please note that UNHCR generally cannot assist persons who are still in their country of nationality.

Last Reviewed: February 11, 2019