Eligibility Letters

Chart shows gradual increase in Eligibility letters issued since FY 2001. Accessible charts can be found at https://www.justice.Foreign national minors in the United States who have been subjected to a severe form of trafficking in persons are eligible for certain benefits and services under the Trafficking Victims Protection Act. HHS Interim Assistance and Eligibility Letters allow minors who may have or have experienced human trafficking, and meet certain eligibility rules, to apply for the same benefits and services as refugees.

U.S. citizens or Lawful Permanent Residents who may have experienced trafficking do not need HHS Letters to be eligible for similar services. They can contact the National Human Trafficking Hotline (NHTH) for further assistance by calling 1-888-373-7888.

Assisting a minor?

Promotional image

If you are assisting a foreign national minor who may have experienced trafficking, contact OTIP Child Protection Specialists at 202-205-4582 or by email during regular business hours to ask questions regarding the process or to discuss potential cases before submission. When you are ready, submit a Request for Assistance for Child Victims of Human Trafficking form (RFA).

OTIP Child Protection Specialists host monthly webinars on Responding to Child Victims of Trafficking. Save the date for the next webinar.

Assisting an adult? Learn about Certification Letters.

Already received a letter?

National Human Trafficking Hotline 1-888-373-7888If you or someone you know has already received an Interim Assistance or Eligibility Letter, here are more resources that can assist:

Family members of individuals who have experienced trafficking that have their own derivative T visas (T-2 through T-6) are immediately eligible for benefits and services to the same extent as refugees. They do not need a letter from HHS.

Eligibility Resources

Last Reviewed: August 7, 2019

Was this page helpful?

Step One
I found this page helpful because the content on the page: (check all that apply)
I did not find this page helpful because the content on the page: (check all that apply)

Your feedback is important to us and will help improve our website. Thank you!

Step Two
Back to Top